Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Triple Digit Heat And The Roadrunner

It was 103 degrees today here in Austin and that is a cooling trend.  The sister cluster is gathered here and lots of sister energy of which I am the trailing edge.  I have had strong women to fall in step with and if you have never known one of us, well, let us just say you better be ready.  For me, my sisters have been the source of strength on many, many difficult stretches on the path of life and I am lucky.  We tell stories, laugh, drink tea and shine the family flashlight on some very distant memories. 

This afternoon, a deer and a roadrunner came to drink from the faux creek bed at the same time.  I went to stand at the window and watch, a transfixed, faux country girl away from home.  The deer drank first, raising her head with water dripping from that delicate nose of hers.  Dark eyes.  A longer drink and then sauntered off into the brush.  The roadrunner was more cautious.  Walked above the creek bed and then down.  Paused.  Then dipped its' beak into the water and drank, drank more, paused, drank and then hopped off into the brush.

Animals here are finding water wherever they can and my sister's fountain and creek bed offer a source of life for them.  I am thankful for the chance to see nature here and so very different from what casts its' shadow on my trails in Sonoma County.  For me, the roadrunner was always a cartoon on a Saturday morning and not such an amazing bird taking a drink on day 50 something of triple digit heat in the lone star state. 

No comments:

Post a Comment