Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Lost in space

I just made a cup of hot tea and walked around outside, marveling at the silence.  It is parched here as you can imagine and this house and the land around it is so quiet.  Quiet and hot too.  It made me feel homesick though not for all the traffic that always seems to take the corner way too fast at our home.  Maybe homesick too for my simple routines like running around Spring Lake, walking the dogs, swimming at the gym and being in my life, unglamorous as it is.  I miss my girl to be sure and our sweet and simple life. I miss Ms. M. who has coffee downtown with me and Ms. J. who is out there recuperating.  Hello everyone.

I have read some of the paper from Austin and other glossy magazines that show young people with active, rich appearing lives. They are the kind of people who would be a shoe-in at the Whole Foods mother ship store.  Austin is a city of more than 700,000 and that is very different than where I come from today.  There are jobs here and statistics have showed that thousands of people have moved to Austin this year and it will continue to boom.  This is a big place.  A person could get lost here.

It is 106 today with over 55 days without rain.  Life in this big city place moves forward and the people are suffering with this drought.  They are Texans here and that carries weight. Like we Californians who have had such a charbroiled experience of our economic flesh, the Texans are feeling the heat and dealing with their own demon.

No comments:

Post a Comment