Monday, August 22, 2011

Raising The Bar Or Simply Cutting Off The Exits

Good news came along with the trough on the other side.  Ups and downs.  The job that I was hoping to gain has been posted in the local paper and they claim to want someone with much more experience.  That was one of the potential answers.  I volunteer at this blessed location and I have grown to love it there. It is a place where a person can be themselves and still be appreciated as part of the greater good.  Not many places could assert such a thing.  Most of my professional life has been spent conforming and that has taken so much energy. 

I was very disappointed to find out that there will be an avalanche of applicants for this job as this employer decided to post it to the entire community.  Employers, as we the unemployed know all too well, select potential candidates who are overqualified because they have so much to chose from and they do. The pool of qualified candidates is larger than most people with jobs can imagine and it is very, very frustrating to try to set yourself apart and be noticed. You have to be a dancing carrot too at least.

I volunteer for this employer and dutifully so.  I have some experience and I have excellent references.  However, that was not enough to be considered before they posted the position and they get to do that.  However, I wonder if they are raising the bar in order to gain access to a specific group of applicants or simply cutting off the exits.


No comments:

Post a Comment