Saturday, August 27, 2011

Jiminy Cricket Meets B.B. King

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fk2prKnYnI&ob=av2e

Just to start off one should go to this B.B. King classic that tells it all tonight.  Maybe it was just a matter of time although friends and family are all scratching their heads.  A bad relationship that has been going on and on and on while they all watched me struggle and fall in love time and time again.  They all watched because they were in love too so who could blame me?  Such a bright, shiny package and always looking so good, looking so good.  Maybe it was just the energy or the quiet but I reached that point tonight and made a double-fisted salute as I walked out, vowing to never return.  Yes, the thrill is definitely gone. 

I have applied to Whole Foods Market 90 times since last July.  They never offered me anything outside of the deli and yet I qualify as a former team member(read big deal) though I am not a buxom young girl of 20.  I have excellent references and I have been tenacious about getting back in the door professing my love for all that is bright and beautiful.  Well, the thrill is gone baby. 

In fact, I might just try to get to 100 for fun, but I stopped dreaming of you long ago.  Tonight, it was quiet in my neighborhood Whole Foods and there was a new muscle bound dude in produce who hasn't got a clue what luck he has although if I just had a set of testicles, maybe they would consider me.  Could be fun for Halloween.

I am angry and rightfully so but I won't let that overpriced grocery store stop me from knowing what I know about myself.  I am an exemplary employee with the ability to focus, stay present with customers until their needs are met, represent my employer with friendliness, honesty and strength, show up for work not just on time but early every shift,(I left my previous employer with 4 1/2 months of sick time on the books) maintain a positive, infectiously humble attitude for an honest day's work and still be my true, loving, commitment to my fellow humans with grace, veracity and fun loving spirit self. I am a gem and yes, I was born under the sign of Gemini to prove it.

I stepped outside to empty the garbage and it is already dark here at 8:30 PM and another sign of the coming fall season.  The crickets are playing their pulsing symphony for those of us who long to hear it.  It is the song of my childhood where everything was wrong in our house and it was a dark childhood indeed.  It is the symphony that kept me hoping for a miracle that my mother would sober up.  The crickets pulsed and never stopped and I slept in my little twin bed listening with both windows open all night.

There was hope in their composition and I came to know that my spirit was clear and true no matter whether Mom was drunk tomorrow or not.  Today, the same is true for me as an older adult and that sound of Jiminy Cricket and his friends buoys my sagging spirit and my quest for an employer, in this messed up and broken down world, who will see the gem in me, passed over but still very much glistening in the light.

Don't give up on yourself fellow unemployed brethren, don't give up and pass it on!


No comments:

Post a Comment