Thursday, July 21, 2011

Adrift in the job seeker life boat

Tea time somewhere in the world and make mine iced today.  Coming down from an interview as it always seems with its strangeness, wonder, hopefulness, anxiety and calm.  Yes, this time I was so much calmer.  That was my goal today-to be more present and more calm.  For me, the interview builds and I begin to feel tense and attached-so attached, to the outcome.  If only this or if I only said that.  This time, my goal was different and it felt like watching myself watch myself.

Something different too was that the interviewer was running late which put me in a chair by the window.  The house cat, silky and jet black with those green, otherworldly eyes, came and sat on my lap for some time.  He purred.  I relaxed.  He purred and the moment was right there brought to my small self. Maybe every employer should have a house cat so that we can all calm the you-know-what down.

And so I exited the interview feeling really good about myself and how I communicate what is so very hard to do.  At times, it is as if the employer has already decided and your anxiety is better spent somewhere else.  Today, 12 people were being interviewed for a 20 hour a week, temporary position.  I am fortunate to have been given some air time and I am all too aware of that.

However, as I left, the next interviewee was someone with whom I crossed paths as a volunteer and who was laid off in the recent fiscal year, government trim.  She is very qualified and dedicated.  She never seemed to be open to me when I was a volunteer yet I smiled at her as I walked to my car. I turned in my thoughts and said a prayer for her.  Rather, I asked the H/P to do what she could for this woman instead of myself.  That is my form of prayer and I do so with the compassion that comes from being in the same life boat and wanting all of us to survive until we reach land.  Good luck M., you deserve it!

No comments:

Post a Comment