Sunday, September 4, 2011

Giving Thanks When It is Not Thanksgiving

I was able to go body boarding with he women who started me doing that crazy stunt back in February here on the North Coast of California.  I had some fun, got a good "sinus cleanse" a few times and marveled at the surfers beyond us who come down the face of the wave and then back up for a flip and down back the rest of the lip. 

It is an astounding thing to watch surfers and there were lots of them out there this morning.  I would not get up at 5:30 AM to do just any old adventure though I did get up at 3:00 AM to run the Kaiser 1/2 marathon in January and I remember a similar start for the Austin 1/2 on 2/14/10.  Adventure is really good for the soul and today, the company was splendid.  Thank you gals.

I was able to thank, in person and bearing gifts, one of my surfer compatriots who was a job reference for me this week.  Later in the day, we drove out to Glen Ellen to surprise a man with a cheesecake for doing something similar for me this week.  In fact, everyone who stood by me and reflected back to the employer that I was trying to convince my skills and character deserve a much bigger thanks than I could ever fashion.

All of them told me that I was the one who did the work.  However, I disagree.  When we go beyond our personal circle to grant respect and believe in someone, it changes the climate of the world.  You could make all the difference for that someone and they did that for me.  I am so very grateful and so very humbled by the help that I received this week.  I am giving thanks when it is not Thanksgiving because you went all out for me and I am deeply moved by your kindness and your belief.  Bless you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment