Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Happiest Place On Earth

I missed an opportunity to be with part of my family this week in Disneyland.  I felt sad to have to choose when my dog Jade needed some surgery and clear that he is my first priority.  I have been involved in rescuing Greyhounds for almost 20 years now and they still need our help as they remain an exploited, mistreated, maltreated, worn down, cruelly bred and raised breed of dogs.  Racing.  Dog racing.  Only humans could have thought that one up to be sure.  Greyhounds can run up to 40 mph and that is not to be casually considered when you choose them as a pet.

Last night sitting on the couch, I saw a dog running by and I bolted out the front door slamming it behind me because I was sure it was a loose Greyhound.  I ran out in the street and whistled but the running Greyhound was now a half a block away and not stopping.  A young woman on a bike talking on a cell phone was peddling after it and crying.  The dog ran and turned onto Yulupa and I began a silent prayer. I worried about it because I know that once they get loose, they are gone.  I have had a few near misses with my dogs and I am overly cautious about their potential flight.  I pray that our neighbor dog ran into the arms of someone else and not onto Hwy 101.

Jade and I and the other two dog girls are holding down the fort until surgery day and I remain hopeful that we shall have years to go walking, peeing and sniffing as a foursome. I am the guardian and I take it very, very seriously.  And so I missed being with my family this week and sometimes we have to make those hard decisions for those we love and care for in life.  For me, rescuing Greyhounds has returned joy back to me ten fold.  They are amazing dogs who are used for the basest reasons.  I want to be a part of their solution creating a small world within that becomes the happiest place on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment