Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Gardener's Sorting Hat

I have this idea, feeling that all too familiar tension in my body that some of us unemployed folks get after an interview, that the idea of getting a job has really changed and I wonder how many of us realize it.  Probably not unless you are walking in our shoes methinks. 

For me, which is all I can really write about, it is impossible not to imagine getting the call that will free my shackles of uncertainty. I start to imagine it and then, like a superstitious baseball star, I wonder if I am doomed to be left behind because I wanted it too much.  Will I jinx myself?   Then I know, almost instantly, that I cannot help it. 

OK, so I often have been very mistaken about my impression with interviewers when I think we make a great connection and then nothing or no, we picked another one more something than you! I cannot help having the hope that I might be the one, even if it is a long shot by far, I must hope and yearn and bumble along in my childlike fantasy.

Today that is where I was though I did all the same tasks and stayed present as possible.  I thought tonight, trying to see what I might see differently in my trail through the obscure future, that being offered a job that feels like a great fit might be like the Sorting Hat from Harry Potter.

An unemployed person caught in unemployment hell would have the Sorting Hat put on them at their interview and the Hat would decide based upon the true nature of one's heart.  The Sorting Hat would shout out the answer to the interviewer and the unemployed person could bounce out of the room and celebrate with their loved ones or slink away to try again and again and again. 



For me, today, it would be the gardener's sorting hat and the true nature of this heart would be shouted out like an anthem.

No comments:

Post a Comment