Friday, July 15, 2011

Not exactly going 80 in the fast lane

Friday afternoon has revealed few jobs to apply for yet I still managed to reach the 80 application mark at WF.  Not exactly a Ferrari ya know?  Dream the dream even if it is an illusion.

A word to others about people mascarading as friends who claim they will put in a good word for us.  For those of you who have jobs and feel stressed out and overworked, take a moment.  Have a cup of tea on a bleak summer afternoon with all of us.  US. If you have no intention of telling the person you know at such and such a place that your good friend is a great person to consider, don't.  If you tell us that you know someone and when we ask you to call them you say yes but you haven't the slight inclination to make any call-don't do it.  We are asking for your help.  Not a magic act but rather just a few words to reflect what you know about us.  Walk in our shoes.  Feel the dirt between your toes.  Do something for someone who is struggling.  We will be eternally thankful and you will be paying it forward. Isn't this why we are here together on planet earth?

My best story about the beloved contact lie that never happened is a friend of my beloved who claimed she knew all kinds of mucky mucks at a national grocery chain.  I asked her in person if she would put in a good word for me and no less than four email requests. I asked her if she had talked to the Produce Manager at the Queen Mary whom she said she was very good friends with and blah, blah, blah.  Needless to say, and you can see this coming but I was still innocent, she never called him, never talked to him and never meant to do anything on my behalf.  She became irritated with me because I kept inquiring and then the light went on in my head.  Cruel joke or just lame human. You decide.

As a postscript, she runs by me on the trials at Spring Lake and I see her camped out in the gym lobby reading her very important email.  I nod and I smile good day. And I have some thoughts about how she never meant what she said.  Do what you say you are going to do or don't make yourself look good claiming you know someone who can help us.  It isn't honest and it sure isn't nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment