Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Beautiful People

Today we went to volunteer at a food bank event called Calabash.  It is a good money maker for the food bank that serves 650 county humans living with HIV/AIDS.  It is a tadoo with over 150 volunteers over a six month prep period.  There is incredible art auctioned with gourmet food and wine served to the beautiful people who come to schmooze and ogle and participate in cocktail banter. 

For me now that I work 40 hours a week, taking an afternoon/eve to volunteer is a big deal.  Sad but true.  However, being of service and giving my time for things that I believe in sustains me and also sustains the planet we share.  I saw some handsome men and women, some bedecked artist types and one very odd necklace made of a monkey's skull replete with teeth.  That was gross not art.  I gave my time so that money made could feed men, women and children in our county who live with a virus that could easily kill them. 

I noticed several people who have crossed my path in my former profession, known to me by phone and attitude though they did not realize who was giving them a bidder number. I noticed several people who acted like they have wealth and may indeed have commas in their checkbook balance that I can only dream of having.  I noticed many humans with beautiful faces and stylish clothes and I wonder what that could be like to try on for an afternoon or a week maybe.  What would it be like to be one of the beautiful people admired simply because genetics played a winning hand in the poker game that became your body?

No comments:

Post a Comment