Friday, September 30, 2011

The Undertow And Finding Knee Pads In Petite

Sometimes I think that the composting of life as an unemployed human and as a newly hired human share the same source of angst, balance, tenacity and perseverance. Or maybe that is just my process in life and the challenges that come require plenty of water, a good rake and some knee pads. 

I have made it to Day 10 and I am tired yet happy with my progress.  However, the worms turned and I was able to identify several slippery and some turgid waters where the undertow could have pulled me under and out to sea. Thankfully I know a riptide when I see one and the keyhole in the water took the form of humans doing what humans do in order to make themselves seem bigger than they really are in life.

Yet finding out that my brand new employer may merge with a corporation was devastating to me today.  I could see the past in the side view mirror and began to unwind with some of that cloak and dagger information that is banging about the place.  I know what corporations do to people or rather, I know what people who run corporations do to people.  It is hard to believe that I have come this far, with sore knees and tired limbs, feeling buoyed by working on such a peaceful campus and wanting to thrive there and knowing that a corporation put in charge of F.H. will lay waste to the blessed nature of everything once inspired by Quakers.

For me, it will be the slow and steady decline of peace and love and a huge change for the residents and staff that will leave us looking for the pods tucked away in the lobby, the gardens, the S.N.F. and in the break room.  It will be as if the body snatchers have done their best to make it seem like just another day of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment