Wednesday, December 28, 2011

"I Do Believe In Ghosts, I Do, I Do"

A malevolent sliver of a moon hangs over Santa Rosa tonight shielded by grey clouds that obscure the truth of its stark white visage.  Today the manager of our department was fired for reasons that remain gossip.  The ED fired him and then walked his rotund self back to the Commons dining room where managers were providing lunch as a post-holiday treat for staff.  Before I went into the dining room, I heard the news that the man who hired me had been fired.  I lost my appetite right then.

This is the third firing of a high ranking staff member in a little over three months.  There is something going on and I am not making it up.  I was furious that Mr. M. had been fired and even madder at Mr. Big II who seemed unconcerned.  Even another co-worker had some lame justification for the firing though he doesn't really know why.  My co-workers who have been hired by the man who was fired-a 19 year veteran-seemed unmoved to fury or sadness.  They seemed to feel nothing at all.

For me, my co-workers reactions are as odd as the string of firings that seem business as usual at a formerly Quaker run organization.  I remembered that feeling that my former co-workers seemed to be like cattle in the shoot ready for slaughter.  I have feelings and for that, I am grateful.  I have ethics and for that, I am very grateful.  I have a sense of honesty and integrity and for that, I thank a program of recovery.  So, it made me feel ill that my co-workers could not muster the feeling of sticking up for our boss that he deserved. 

There is a tyrant afoot where we work and she is not even a local.  So far she is cutting a swath that includes anyone who stands up to her.  In my neck of the woods, we call that kind of person a bully. If you believe in karma, there will be a day of reckoning. For us, it cannot come fast enough. I am reminded of the idea that believing in ghosts is not the same as having your soul stalked by one.

No comments:

Post a Comment