Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Going The Distance Regardless Of The Outcome:The Griffin Clan

I await the confirmation of a job that I fought very hard to get chosen for and continued to apply to the grocery monstrosity now gone corporate carnivore. Just to say I did actually, though it is based upon a tested understanding that no job will ever be forthcoming at The Queen Mary or any other of the stores. I have reached 100 applications since July of 2010. Now I am done. Really and truly done. Most sincerely done.

 I am not sure what to do with the feelings left behind by that kind of effort. I may need to do some kind of ritualistic burning at the coast or maybe a 100 white doves, oh wait those are pigeons anyway, or maybe 100 black balloons popped with a very large 10 penny nail! I just think I need a dream colonic.

Just because we have dreams doesn’t mean that they will be granted wishes. Looking for work in 2011 is nothing like any of that. In fact, today I heard about a man working at a coffee shop that was laid off after 32 years. A true, real life story. There are lots more where that came from this year.

I made it to the 100th application and I can say that I was deemed overqualified for Dishwasher and under qualified for Cashier. Somewhere in between those two lies the great wasteland of working for a corporation with profits out of this world. A militaristic machine that sells natural food to the middle class masses. There is nothing natural about that my friend.

Going the distance regardless of the outcome is my moniker, values and ethics whether I am volunteering or working for a paycheck. Those qualities are part of my Celtic ancestry and I cannot help it whether I want to or not.  Any employer who cannot see the fire in my eyes needs a new set of eyes.



No comments:

Post a Comment