Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Curtain Call Of Morning

The dawn began to emerge behind the darkened silhouettes of the trees in the front yard, dark blue then royal then grey blue, as if a curtain were being lifted on this corner house in slowly awakening neighborhood about to come to from a night of sleep or, in my case, sleepless ness. This moment at dawn is a fragile time to me, inviting hopes for the day, recounting regrets or hardships of the night.  I have had many dark nights of the soul in the last year and I can feel the tension of doubt and worry in my body as I sit on the couch, looking out at the veil being lifted upon a new day.

All that is lost is not found though some spiritual slogan books may try to tell us that.  A different perspective seems to come with time and with turning the past over in my mind, a sautéing of sorts, a wrestling match between mind and heart.  This is how I come to understand how I shall proceed and value myself during difficult times or denigrate myself for not living up to my own sense of right.

This morning, in those moments as the light changed and I drank my coffee and reflected on my journey, I found the changing blues to be a sign of the dynamic nature of being human on this earth.  Lessons are laid at my feet whether I summon them or not.  Whether I look down and welcome those obstacles with grace or with my hair on fire can be the deciding moment of truth.  The curtain call of morning can be my talisman or my foe depending on the message left in the dust.


No comments:

Post a Comment