Monday, September 19, 2011

Working With Jesus And The Velveteen Rabbit

Day one of the new job saw triple digit temperatures in our usually foggy county.  I drank lots of water like a good girl and Jesus saved our lives.  I just wanted to write those words somehow.  Actually, I am very fortunate to be working where I do and my mentor is named Jesus.  He is a truly lovely human who never seems to sweat or get dirty.  He has not even flinched at my controversial orientation, nor my size or gender or age or the tattoos.  He is kind and has a very good heart. 

Jesus made sure that I worked in the shade of a building or a tree today when the sun was at its peak.  Many of the residents greeted me and welcomed me as they walked by us working and they seemed to know that I had been hired.  Staff welcomed me as well on many occasions today and I really had to pinch my own skin to realize that it isn't a dream.  I started to cry a few times behind my sunglasses because their welcome was unlike anything that I have experienced on the first day of a new job.  It is, truly, an amazing place to be.

I know that I shall adjust and over the months as winter comes upon us out there in the gardens, the tension in my body and mind will leave and I shall feel more at home and more confident.  For today, I am body tired and mind happy.  I feel at peace in my thoughts and so grateful that I can hardly contain that gusher.  Working with Jesus does seem as though I have become The Velveteen Rabbit yearning to become real and scuttle into the bracken, alive and vital.

No comments:

Post a Comment