Friday, February 3, 2012

A Multi-Cultural Farce

What a strange day this was and so glad that someone thought up the idea of  Friday.  T.G.I.F. indeed. I am now home after sharing a big old pizza with a friend who knows me well.  There is nothing like friendship to cure the ills of a weird year thus far, weird week, weird day. I am so glad someone thought up friends and pizza.

The multi-cultural farce of this day started with a very strange after lunch meeting in the crowded shop where we store our stuff and where lots of other stuff sits around or ends up on the floor until they clean it up.  Strange way to do business.  We are all sitting and standing around when my co-worker accuses me of telling one of the residents that he is lazy.  He further accused me of saying to this resident how hard I work in comparison to my co-workers and not to tell anyone or I will get in trouble.

It gets stranger.

First of all, I am not a snitch nor am I stupid or lacking in common decency enough to talk up the shortcomings of my co-workers, of which there are plenty, to a resident of our not-so-fine establishment.  In fact, I was sideswiped by his accusations.  Mr. Big I appeared quite sure I did just that though he would not say who the perpetrator in question was.  Mr. Big II started to chime in on my inability to sweep perfectly to which I got really freaking mad.

It gets stranger.

I defended myself to this very strange accusation on this strange day and we all parted after more posturing by my not-so-fine co-workers for some more weeding, imperfect sweeping and generally get me to quitting time thoughts.  It came and went and I must say it felt odd, annoying, dark and definitely filled with resentment in the air about having a tiny woman out-work you every single day. 

It gets stranger.

I find out when I get home another co-worker, a man, had a loud conversation with a resident where he said that Mr. Big I is lazy and his sister, also an employee, heard this and reported it to her brother.  Her brother-Mr. Big I, then decides that the person impugning his character is me and the snow ball comes down the hill full blast. Somewhere between someone else saying what everyone thinks without my saying so and my accuser is the multi-cultural farce where I work.

Non-native English speakers fill in the gaps just like native English speakers and something is still lost in the translation.  One thing is for sure however, I am working in the wrong job, wrong time, wrong place.  Hurt, anger and accusations sent me on my way home yet I know that I prefer comedy to drama.

Enough is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment