Saturday, December 17, 2011

Dad's 105th Birthday

If my father had lived to this day in 2011, we would have been celebrating his 105th birthday.  It seems strange, still, that he has been gone so long, and how he lived and left feels strange too.  My dad was an attorney, though not the BMW kind of lawyer. He had a reputation for honesty so one of his colleagues told me years ago.  I would like to believe that was his corner post though in life, he made choices that reflected some of his struggles and his loneliness. He had feet of clay just like me.

However, on this day, I celebrate my father who appears to have come from Polish Jews though he would not admit it.  I celebrate some of his favorite sayings like...."Don't turn your back on the ocean!" and "Never trust a man who wears a bow tie!"  My Dad was a short man with an olive complexion and a big nose whose anger could turn violent yet whose generosity paved way for the room I am sitting in writing this morning, at the corner in a small town in northern California.

Thank you Dad for all you tried to do for me in life and for what you passed on to me whether you knew it or not.  Peace be with you wherever you are today.

No comments:

Post a Comment