Sunday, October 30, 2011

Angel Island On A Clear October Day

We went to Angel Island yesterday and now, Sunday evening, it has joined the good feelings pantry of the swiftly disappearing weekend.  I love being in the middle of the bay surrounded by the bustle and sophistication of San Francisco, Tiburon and the East Bay yet seeing it through the eyes of a hiker.  Yesterday it was perfect weather and that is not the usual.

I still feel strongly that my life is about as weird as it can be and I can see and hear the lines of Eliza Doolittle in my thoughts. That's right, My Fair Lady is playing in my head on the wide screen.  Audrey Hepburn turns to me and says, "What's to become of me!" and I imagine that she is me or I am the character. 

What tomorrow will bring is always a mystery and I have laid out my work clothes just the same.  October ends tomorrow and the losses of the tenth month will come and go but they are still ghosts that haunt the hallways and I am not fooled by the ebb of screaming from beyond.  Tonight I can pretend that I am still walking the perimeter road and gazing out at the flat San Francisco bay, speckled with sailboats and tourists and a dirigible that is banking past the next rise on a very sunny day in October where I am just another human having a day off.

No comments:

Post a Comment